Well, it’s that time of year again. EVERYTHING. PUMPKIN. Seriously, all I’ve seen in grocery stores and coffee shops since the beginning of September is everything pumpkin flavored. I’m not hating, trust me I love it just as much as the next girl. But lately I’ve really tried to resist the urge to go to Starbucks every day for a PSL. Yes, they’re pretty amazing… but my mind is literally blown to pieces when the cashier tells me my total, when I’m so used to only paying for a small iced coffee during the summer (trust me, not nearly as expensive). Plus, sometimes I’d rather not make the drive just for a cup of coffee. That’s why I started making my own version at home, and now I want to share it with you all!
1. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups each of sugar and water, 1/4 cup pure pumpkin, 2 cinnamon sticks, and 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2. Let this simmer for 10 minutes while you whisk
3. Strain twice – I used cheese cloth, it seemed to work the best because the syrup is pretty thick
4. Chill (lasts up to one month!)
5. Mix 1 to 2 tbsp of the syrup with coffee and milk/creamer/etc to taste
6. Top with whipped cream and pumpkin spice if you want to add a little something special!
Simple as that! AND the ingredients to create 1 drink adds up to about $0.50. Can’t beat it!
Enjoy! xo Jenna